Monday 5 March 2007

cupcakes and immigration

It was a lovely day in London today. Clear skies, a warmish sun and just a slight chill in the air. I have such a love/hate relationship with this city. I've lived here for nearly 4 years and at times the thought of leaving fills me with dread, at others i'm a mouse click away from hopping on a plane out of here.

My love is here, a boy unlike all others. We met 2 years ago and it was amazing. Blinding, all consuming romance..

Since then things have changed a little. Blinding, all consumingarguments. It's hard to find the right words to adequately describe the current state of play here, so I think I'll just come back to it...

The current plague on my existance is the British Home Office. I emigrated under the Highly Skilled Migrant Program 18 months ago after being on a working holiday visa. Late last year, whilst I was in Australia for 2 weeks for family reasons, the laws changed in respect to my visa status, and, to cut a long story short, a two week trip to Australia turned in to 2 months while I wrangled with the powers that be.

This situation is yet to be resolved and I am unable to work in the UK currently whilst this matter is being sorted. Now, I have worked since I left home at 14, and not being able to do so is driving me mad. Luckily, I organise a legal advice service for a homeless charity so I do have a few things to keep me occupied, but, well, quite frankly this whole situation is a little tiresome.

Bake for distraction. Cupcake, anyone?

No comments: