Saturday 17 March 2007

comic relief



Well, I survived the dentist and am feeling much better now. Yesterday was Comic Relief Day here in London, with the benefit gala all being televised on the BBC. It certainly was one way to put things in perspective and for me to be given an abrupt jolt back to reality. The reality being that I am one lucky girl. The above video was my favourite sketch of the night.

I remember when I was around 5 or 6 years old at home in Sydney. At that age, we had the ridiculously early bed time of 6pm (even 22 years later I still think it unfair!). I digress.

I was 5 or 6 and it was the day of Live Aid. I awoke from sleep and I wanted to see my Mum. I crawled out of bed and tiptoed down the hall, unsure of the reception I'd get if I got sprung being up and about. I creeped up behind the sofa in the living room and heard my Mum crying. I was still young enough that to hear your Mum crying filled you with a sense of complete bewilderment. I emerged from hiding and hugged her, thinking that maybe my father had become violent toward her again, but that wasn't it. The images of Live Aid and the ethopian famine were flashing on the television screen. I started to cry too when I saw the young children crying and hungry. This memory has stuck with me my whole life. In fact, it inspired me to work in the field that I do.

I have had the most amazing experiences in my life working in Africa. Although, I don't believe that we can only make a difference abroad. I've worked on projects in Australia and the UK and truly believe that each of can make a difference. It sounds so cliched, but, believe me, it's true.

I have an extraordinarily blessed existance. I don't believe that as a sign of solidarity I need to do without or not enjoy material things, BUT I do believe that I am obliged to try my best to make the world a little bit easier for someone less fortunate than myself.

No comments: