Thursday 24 May 2007

hong kong nights



Well, after a reasonably pleasant flight (considering I'm feeling horrendous with the flu), I've touched down in Hong Kong. It is absolutely boiling here, 32 degrees and 95% humidity.

It's now 5.50am Hong Kong time and I can't sleep. Forgive my disjointed sentences and poor prose, but what's a girl with the flu and a weird time zone induced delirium to do?

Last night, (I had to think for a minute, but yes, it was last night HK time) I wandered around the night markets of Kowloon and sampled the delicous street food. On my way back to the hotel I discovered a small pharmacy and it struck me that I best get some antibiotics to prevent this flu from turning in to a chest infection, which tends to happen when I get these things.

In my younger days, Asian pharmacies that dispensed drugs with abandon would send my heart soaring with joy! These over the counter goodies were bought with glee in Bangkok, Kathmandu, Delhi and various other Asian locales. However, it is a sign that I'm aging that when I got back to the hotel this evening, I sat myself at the computer and researched the brand name of the tablets of wellness that I was given and wondered if it was really a good idea. In the end, I decided, like the old saying goes, "whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger".

Onwards and upwards.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i get a feeling that many wonderful things are about to happen...why? because you decided right?
wink delphine

Danielle said...

Oh Luli, I hope you are starting to feel better! There's nothng worse than being sick in the summer! YUCK!!! Get some rest--wishing you a quick recovery.

audrey said...

And now you are back in Australia, and hopefully not affected badly from those pills...

Is Australia everything you remembered and more? Conservative? Racist? Rude?

x said...

Luli, how have you been?

Parisian Cowboy said...

Yeah, I wonder as well !! Got a damn flu here in Paris. Hope you're feeling better by now...

Luli said...

Delphine - I hope so!!! : )

Danielle - Feeling much better now, thank goodness.

Audrey - Christ on a cracker - the pills worked! Australia - yep. I almost fell of my chair with laughter when I saw the ad campaigns liberal is putting out re the work reforms laws. The political landscape and middle Australia apathy/ignorance reminds me why I live in Europe. Rah!

Chloe - I am good, thank you : ) My aunt died on Saturday, so that has been a bit rough. But I'm good. I think I need a proper holiday at some point - you might find a visitor in Athens at some point ; )

PC - I'm good - How are things in the harsh terrain of Paris? I hope you are feeling better now... : )