If anyone has seen High Fidelity, you will appreciate the importance of being able to list one's top 5.
So here goes. The best 5 things that have happened to me so far:
1. Driving through the Kalahari. Seated in the luxury of our rental car, this has to go down as one of the most memorable things I've ever done. To be in Africa and be able put in to perspective how incrementally small one's existence is amongst the vast plains of nothingness. Amazing.
2. Walking Annapurna in Nepal. I used to smoke a pack of cigarettes a day, chased down with double espressos and polished off with a Vodka Martini in the evening. The fact that I did this, and didn't drop down dead of a heart attack is a testament to the power of my stubborn nature. All of my much more active friends were very proud (i.e. surprised) I made it. (First over the finish line too, I might add!) I also got one of my nicknames whilst I was there; Didi. It means big sister in Nepalese. I am choosing to believe that I was christened so due to being fairly tall and not because I look older than my years.
3. Reading in my Nan's bedroom on a summer afternoon. I loved my grandmother with all that I am. She was beautiful, intelligent, feisty and a chocoholic. I spent hundreds of afternoons cuddled up with her in bed, watching the boats in the bay, munching on her chocolate supply and reading books. I will never, ever forget how safe and loved she made me feel.
4. Ciggies and wine on the terrace with my friends I have astoundingly wonderful friends. Sitting outside, with great food, wine, company and an assortment of musical instruments is how I've spent many, many a night.
5. Getting my heartbroken It's amazing how you can feel the happiest and the saddest at the same time.